January 11, 2009

I'm Ready for a Career Change

According to the US Department of Labor the average person makes more than three career changes during their working life.

Typically, people will leave one job to accept another job for numerous reasons. Better pay or work environment. A shorter commute or be closer to home. Better work hours or less hours. For whatever reason you decide you are ready for a change you must give it some thought, do your research, and plan.

1. Will I take a pay cut and if so how deep of a cut can I take?
My advice: If you are the bread winner in your household or you support yourself this may be a question that may be at the top of your list. Do some research. Find out what that industry pays.

2. Will the work environment be better or worse than my current situation?
My advice: Talk with other people who are in the industry. Filter out opinions that can be corrected with some extra effort on the part of the employee like "I am unhappy with my boss", "There's alot of drama among the employees", "No one does their share of the work", "I haven't been promoted in 2 years".

3. Is the industry growing, declining or stagnant?
My advice: Despite the fact that companies are laying off there are companies within certain industries that are increasing their workforce in 2009.

4. How marketable am I right now?
My advice: If you are a mid life career changer you bring with that valuable experience and more maturity than someone who is inexperienced. If you spent most of your worklife in one career you may need to re-invent yourself. Read "Resume Tips for Mortgage Industry Career Changers. The tips are applicable to any industry.

5. Will I need to obtain a higher level of education or a certification related to the industry?
My advice: Some job announcements mention desired skills, certifications, or education. Someone who meets all of the requirements and some of the desired skills/experience would be considered as an "ideal candidate". You are in a better position to negotiate your salary when you are included in that mix. If you are working do not quit your job to pursue your degree or a certification. Many schools offer programs for working adult allowing you to work your classes around your schedule. It's easier to get a job when you have a job!

6. When should I make the transition?
My advice: There is no timeline or certain time of the year when you should make your transition. Making a career change takes alot of thought and planning. Take your time and don't make decisions based on emotion. Take a logical approach. >



7. Am I too old to change careers?
My advice: No. See advice for question #4.
Do you have a question about this topic? Ask it here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Policy-Comments are encouraged however; I will not publish comments that will not add value to the discussion. The comments should be unique, rich in content, contain no profanity, and be helpful. Please respect other's comment. Use the contact form if you have link or topic suggestions, interested in advertising on this site, or other matters.

 
Powered by Blogger